Thank you for considering the adoption of a pet from the Sequoia Humane Society. Our adoption process is designed to help insure a good match, for you and for the animal. A match that will be a happy one for many years to come.
We are not able to check our e-mail everyday, so if you are interested in a particular animal, please TELEPHONE US right away.
STEPS IN THE ADOPTION PROCESS
- Please review our Adoption Policies and Shelter Standards (see the opposite side of this page). Proceeding in the adoption process means you agree to abide by these guidelines.
- Next you may walk through our facility and view (but not yet handle) the kittens, cats, puppies, dogs and other animals that are available for adoption OR you may proceed to the next step in the adoption process - filling out an adoption application.
- Fill out an adoption application - your answers to the questions on the application help us to help you choose a pet that is compatible with you and your family.
- A shelter representative will discuss your application with you and ask you some additional questions. We will review some of the responsibilities of pet ownership and the Sequoia Humane Society’s policies on adoption.
- Once your adoption application has been approved you may visit with any of the animals that are available for adoption. If you are interested in a particular animal ask a shelter representative to take them to a visiting room so you can spend some time getting to know them. If the animal is not available yet, you will be added to its wish list. When it becomes available, the applicant with the earliest approval date would have the first chance to adopt. We’ll tell you what we know about each animal’s personality and temperament and how that may or may not seem to fit your situation. We’ll also answer your questions about how to care for or train the animal.
- Once you have selected your new animal friend you will be asked to sign an adoption contract and pay an adoption fee. The fee covers spaying or neutering, vaccines your new pet has received at the shelter, and other items you will receive with your new family member. You will be given a medical record that you can bring to your veterinarian, and provided with a month of free pet insurance.
We recognize that this is a long process and we appreciate your patience and understanding while we make sure you and your new pet are completely suitable for each other. You don’t have to complete this entire process in one day. In fact, we encourage you to take some time to reflect upon your decision. We also require that you bring other members of your family and household – including dogs – with you to our Pet Adoption Center to meet with your new potential animal companion.
We hope that by the end of this process there will be two very happy clients: you and your new animal friend!
We reserve the right not to adopt an animal into a situation that we believe would be dangerous (for the person or the animal), impermanent, or unhealthy.
Adoption Application & Policies - WORD
Adoption Application & Policies - PDF
E-mail us at: